The Inaugural A.T. Vista for 2021/2022 August 6-9, 2021 - Virtual Event with local hikes and online workshops. August 5-8, 2022 - in-person at State University of New York (SUNY) at New Paltz. MORE DETAILS Below
A.T. Vista Inauguration to Be Conducted in 2021 and 2022 Be a Part of the History!
With the great news of vaccines for COVID-19, the planning team for the inaugural A.T. Vista has updated the program to provide for both a virtual experience in 2021 and an in-person experience for 2022. This expanded program presents a great opportunity to allow wide participation each year, and we seek assistance from your club members.
We know it has been since 2017 that we’ve been together to spend time on the trail, learn, and socialize together; however, the uncertainties involved in rolling out COVID-19 vaccinations has led us to avoid a trail-wide in-person event in 2021. We want the inaugural A.T. Vista to be memorable and this expanded two-year program rollout will allow us to develop and maintain momentum so that we can continue to share in the great camaraderie of the kindred spirits that cherish the Appalachian Trail.
As we want to continue to honor the celebration of the 100th anniversary of Benton MacKaye's 1921 article, “An Appalachian Trail: A Project in Regional Planning,” the 2021 A.T. Vista program will be conducted with dispersed local hiking opportunities all along the Appalachian Trail (and perhaps even elsewhere!) plus virtual gatherings providing an opportunity for participants at any location to follow the hikes online as photos and videos are posted.
For the 2021 program, we are seeking hiking leaders from trail clubs to conduct small group hikes along the Appalachian Trail and other trails in your serving area. We are also seeking workshop proposals for topics that are conducive to an online presentation.
We anticipate the 2021 program will still be a 4-day event with virtual experiences available August 6-9, 2021. A planned itinerary is below (details are in process):
1. Friday, August 6 (in the evening): A virtual keynote program with welcome remarks, highlights of the virtual program, and online entertainment (components may be pre-recorded).
2. Saturday, August 7 from 8AM to 5PM: Local hikes to be conducted along the Appalachian Trail (and other trails in your area). Afternoon and Evening: Pictures and videos from these hikes to be uploaded and shared as armchair activities to engage people with various fun facts and opportunities for viewers to experience the hikes vicariously.
3. Sunday, August 8 and Monday, August 9 from 9AM to 4PM: Various workshop tracks
We are still working out many details for this expanded program while we continue to pursue the in-person program now scheduled for August 5-8, 2022, at the State University of New York (SUNY) at New Paltz.
If you have members of your club that would be interested in making this a memorable and ongoing future event, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to join the team. Provide the requested information below for the hikes and workshops, and if you have other ideas, feel free to send those too. The A.T. Vista organizing team will be putting together an online program and registration system based on the submitted opportunities.
1. Leader Name and Contact info (email, phone)
2. Co-Leader Name and Contact info
4. Trail Name/Section
5. Description to be used
6. Number of Miles
7. Level (easy, moderate, strenuous)
8. Roundtrip or one-way hike?
1. Workshop Name
2. Workshop description
3. Workshop Leader Name and Contact info (email, phone)
4. Length of session (average is expected to be one-hour)
5. Session Date: Sunday or Monday (or both!)
6. Would you be able to host more than one session if needed?
7. Would you also like to conduct this workshop online or in-person for the 2022 program?